ISRAEL IS ON THE VERGE OF ANNEXING THE WEST BANK

Annexation – the term applied when a state unilaterally proclaims its sovereignty over other territory. It is forbidden by international law. 

HISTORY 

In 1948, the catastrophe or ‘Al-Nakba’ as it’s known occurred where over 750,000 Palestinians were forced to flee from their land that became Israel and were never allowed to return. 

In June 1967 a six-day war or better known as ‘Naksa’ between Israel and Egypt, Jordan and Syria ensued, Israel shocked the world when it took control of the remaining Palestinian territories of the West Bank, East Jerusalem, Gaza Strip as well as the Syrian Golan Heights and Egyptian Sinai Peninsula in just six days. 

The 1948 war ended with Israel controlling 78% of historical Palestine. The remaining 22 percent fell under the control of Egypt and Jordan. In 1967, Israel swallowed the whole of historical Palestine, as well as gained territory from Egypt and Syria. By the end of the June 1967 war, a further 300,000 Palestinians had been displaced from their land. 

This swift move consolidated the Israeli state just years after the Nazis has wiped out six million Jewish people in the Holocaust. Their dream of establishing a state in their biblical home had come to fruition. 

For the Muslims of the region, defeat at the hands of the newly created Israel was a seismic political movement that led to years of upheaval and destruction. 

PRESENT DAY 

The Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu had set July 1st, 2020 as the date when it could begin to annex Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank, as well as in the strategic Jordan Valley. Netanyahu’s office has not moved forward with the annexation plans yet, however it is imminent and will scupper any hopes by the international community for a two-state solution. 

There have been countless UN Security Council resolutions passed over recent years condemning Israel’s aggression and the illegal building of settlements on Palestinian land. Despite this, the settler population has increased by 50%.

Explainer: Israel, annexation and the West Bank - BBC News

 

Many experts believe this will result in mass displacement for Palestinians and increased violence in the region. International law states that any attempt of annexation by an occupying force is illegal. 

In 2014, Russia annexed Crimea and faced sanctions from governments all around the world. 

Israel should be held to the same account.

Research links:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/egypt-france-germany-jordan-warn-israel-annexation-200707183806305.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/06/50-years-israeli-occupation-longest-modern-history-170604111317533.html

Written by Samir Haider 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: